Sunday, October 10, 2010

BUSITN' MY BALLS

That is what Last.FM is currently doing.  I haven't been able to post a shout or update my profile for like 4 days and it's really fuckin' annoying.

I've been listening to nothing but thrash for the past few days because I've recently felt a need to expand my musical knowledge.  I've been sort of depressed as a result of being disappointed with the current hardcore scene in America, because it's so stagnant and superficial.  I started to realize the only reason why I liked it in the first place was because the music made me want to punch people in the face and it wasn't something I could just sit down and enjoy.  I forgot my roots in heavy metal, and I recently rediscovered them.  I'm never looking back!

I've been watching a lot of musical documentaries recently and it's amazing how much of an impact Nirvana has had on two music styles I really like: hardcore/punk and thrash.  In the early nineties, the stagnation I referred to earlier was beginning to occur in both of these styles.  All the big thrash bands were selling out and punk rock turned into tough guy hardcore and stuff like Rancid/NOFX.  Then, Nirvana came along and totally killed the thrash bands' arena rock boner and some people say that they carried on punk rock's torch in place of more rock and roll stuff like I mentioned earlier.  I'm not too clear on this because I was born around the time all this happened (OMG U POZER) but to me Rancid and NOFX still seem more punk than Nirvana ever did.  Kurt Cobain was just some emo drug addict kid that really wanted to be famous and like punk rock, and created grunge.  While I applaud him for effectively killing off the thrash bands trying to sell out (THEY HAVE BETRAYED US ALL!) I just don't see the punk rock connection.  Honestly, Nirvana isn't really anything special either.  They're not bad but they're just a rock band, and I prefer bands that played in their style of rock that came later, and played heaver, like Chevelle for example.  That was one of the first rock 'n roll bands I really liked when I was a kid.

With all this said, I think thrash is probably my favorite sub-genre of metal right now because of the impact it's had on the scene.  From it stemmed both the black and death styles, and it's basically a combination of bands like Priest and The Sex Pistols.  Which, is fucking awesome.  I love how guitar centric it is, how varied the riffs are, how fast it's played, the heaviness, and the FUCKING GUITAR SOLOS HOLY MOTHER OF SHIT.  It's a genre I hadn't had much appreciation for until recently.  I mean, believe me, I've liked stuff such as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Kreator for a while but I haven't really dove into the history and tried to uncover more underground bands and obscure gems like I have recently.  I mean,  listening to stuff such as Norway's Aura Noir which plays an awesome blackened thrash style, super old school, signed to Fenriz' Tyrant Syndicate label.  There are so many great thrash bands I could talk about it forever.

One thing that has really succeeding in pissing me off more than anything right now, though, is modern "black metal".  You know what I'm talking about, modern stupid bullshit like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, and Gorgoroth.  Cashing in on the image of the early nineties, fueling a trend, causing stagnation and the loss of creativity which is exactly what black metal was started to go against in the first place.  I don't understand how bullshit like this happens.  As you can probably tell from my background, I worship at the unholy altar of Darkthrone and appreciate their newer metal punx efforts more than anything I've heard recently.  Their whole catalog is pretty much one of the most impressive I've ever encountered in metal, and a band as versatile and true as Darkthrone should not be ignored by anyone that causes them a heavy metal fan.  Fenriz is my fucking role model.

WELCOME TO MY BLOG.... and I hope you enjoy all the other angsty posts that are sure to come after this one.

1 comment: